Patient Advocacy, Health Information For Consumers
“IT’S NOT THE PATIENT’S FAULT” 50% of prescription medicines are not being taken correctly. This often leads to serious medical complications, hospitalization, additional medicines, loss of work, and sometimes death. This is why patients need accurate and easy-to-understand patient information about managing their treatment.
Consumer Health Information Corporation recognizes the important role of the patient in health care. Dr. Dorothy Smith, Founder has dedicated her career to helping reform patient care in clinical pharmacy practice. She has written 23 books to help consumers understand how to manage their prescription medications safely and wisely. Dr.Smith has been active in helping pharmacists learn how to counsel patients effectively and is affiliated with more than 40 Schools of Pharmacy across the United States and Canada. She has served on several nonprofit advisory boards including Rx Partnership, ASOP (American Society of Online Pharmacies to try to counter counterfeit drugs globally), National Board of Advisors of University of Arizona College of Pharmacy and Dean’s Advisory Board of University of Cincinnati School of Pharmacy. She serves on many national consumer organizations and charities to help consumers receive the information they need to be informed consumers of health care.
Dr. Smith believes:
- The patient and their families and caregivers must understand how to manage a medication before it is safe to use.
- The patient is the most important link to successful medical treatment because the patient is the ultimate person who decides whether or not to follow the recommended medical prescription.
- The patient needs to weigh the benefits vs the risks of any treatment because in the end, it is the patient who will suffer any consequences – not the medical team.
- The patient and the patient’s loved ones must be fully informed.
- The patient has the right to decide whether or not to follow the medical prescription and the health care team must guide the patient so they can make wise informed decisions.
About Consumer Health Information Corporation
Award-winning customized health information programs for consumers that work! All Consumer Health Information Corporation programs are developed by experts in medicine and pharmacy and are guaranteed to meet health literacy and patient adherence research guidelines.
Consumer Health Information Corporation is unmatched when it comes to developing patient education and patient compliance programs that really work. The company is recognized internationally as a leader in developing health information materials that speak the consumer’s language. Here’s why.
- We know how to bridge the gap between consumers and their physicians and pharmacists. We have counseled thousands of patients in clinical practice and know firsthand the type of information people need to take their medicines correctly.
- We understand the barriers patients face when they are diagnosed with a medical condition and require drug therapy. We also understand how consumers are being forced to take more responsibility for their treatments and their need for high quality information.
- We are experts at translating medical terminology into patient information language that is patient friendly.
- We have written more than 20 best-selling home reference guides for consumers on how to take prescription medicines correctly, and have answered consumer questions on numerous radio and TV call-in talk shows.
- You can be assured that the patient information you provide to consumers is clinically accurate and up-to-date. Our unique comprehensive DocuSourceTM reference system documents every statement we make.
- Our patient education design specialists visually present the clinical content so it meets your patient compliance goals, and develop simplified medical illustrations patients will understand.
- We regularly participate in FDA seminars and hearings on patient education … and sit on national patient education councils – including the Board of Directors of the National Council on Patient Information & Education (NCPIE).
- We have taught patient counseling techniques at medical and pharmacy schools, and we are an accredited teaching site in patient education for Doctor of Pharmacy students.
Our high standards and “Commitment to Excellence” require every patient education program to go through rigorous peer reviews and patient education tests. Your patient information programs will gain unbiased credibility with consumers, patients and health care professionals.